Saturday 30 January 2016

Day 26 & 27, 2016

Good morning from an overcast morning in Laguna Beach after a beautiful evening with a breathtaking sunset.


Evening of Friday 29th January 2016 - 6pm

Morning of Saturday 30th January 2016 - 7am

This morning I woke up refreshed and looking forward to a new day.  The morning was spent catching up on some household chores, checking emails and answering urgent enquiries and then heading out into a town called Irvine to have our hair coloured and cut.  I know pampering oneself is one of life's luxuries however the length of time it takes to do it is long (3 hours) and plays havoc on the back!  So happy about my hair but not so about the aches and pains in my back :(

However all is well.  After having our hair done we had lunch at a nice restaurant next door to the hairdressers and devoured a delicious bowl of mixed 'farmers salad', full of apples, grapes, pomegranate and the usual salad leaves etc. and a side of steamed butternut squash topped with toasted pumpkin seeds washed down with an iced green tea.  Heavenly and well needed after our long morning.





I did have some bread on the side, like a toasted panini and yesterday I also enjoyed some toasted sourdough bread, neither gluten free and to be honest, after both occasions, I did feel bloated and noticed energy levels decreased.  So all in all I know that bread, especially regular bread, regardless of if it is yeast free or not (sourdough is yeast free with no added sugars) does slow down the metabolism and makes me feel bloated, heavy and lethargic so back to not eating ANY bread at all is my realisation over the last couple of days.

For dinner my sister made a very tasty and healthy Basil Soup with minimal nutritious ingredients and the recipe is detailed below.  Very easy and quick.


Basil & Sweet Potato Soup


Served 4, gluten free and vegan

2 cups chopped celery, 2 cups chopped sweet potato
2 cups fresh basil leaves washed
4 bay leaves
1 tbsp coconut oil
Salt and pepper to tast

Instructions:
Saute all the vegetables with the coconut oil and bay leaves for about 10 minutes.
Add the basil.
Add 6 cups of cold water and gently simmer for about 40 minutes until all the vegetables are tender.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Blend and serve.

Yesterday evening I fancied something sweet and made a delicious banana ice-cream and topped it with a little almond butter.  It was so tasty, light and nutty.


Saturday 30th January 8am.

I woke early again, 5am (I think my body has got used to this clock pattern) and after tossing and turning for about half hour, I decided to get up shower, meditate, relax and reflect before catching up on some computer work.

I finally got round to weighing myself this morning after finding some scales in my sisters bathroom and converting them into Kilos, which is the way I track my weight, and my weight has not changed at all!  I am a little dismayed at this however I think this is due to snacking more on nuts on the go so I don't get the shakes, consuming bread over the past couple of days accompanied with avocado vegan butter and generally not moving around as much due to the unstable circumstances with my back.  

To be honest, all these are excuses and I feel that being out of my comfort zone, knowing where I am and what I am doing, not having the freedom or flexibility to just get up and go for a walk because of the location I am all plays a part in my mind however I admit that these are all excuses and where there is a will there is way right!

So I am going to incorporate a regular walking regime into my day, focus on what I am eating because what better place to embrace healthy eating than Laguna and LA and of course the best reason being for the better good of my health physically and mentally.  So a new day brings new focus, new determination, commitment and belief to carry on.

Today we have some shopping errands to do and have some people over for lunch and then need to prepare for a luncheon tomorrow which my nephew and his friends are coming over for so busy busy.

However to start off this wonderful day, I have prepared a healthy and nutritious breakfast of Quinoa porridge with oats, flaxseeds, coconut oil and almond milk and will top off with toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds and almonds.  Yummy.




Have a wonderful day everyone - until soon x

No comments:

Post a Comment