Monday 22 February 2016

Day 50 - 22nd February 2016

Good afternoon friends, it has been a few days since I last wrote from sunny Laguna Beach.  I am now back in the UK, having arrived last Friday and taken advantage of the weekend to catch up on rest and sleep before kicking off today with catching up on mail, calls, emails etc. etc.  It is amazing how although being in a different country whilst on holiday and knowing you have access to emails, you feel so out of touch and whatever you do do to catch up doesn't quite prepare you for the practicalities of when you return and the 'real' catch up begins.

Anyways enough of that, we are back on track and heading in the right direction ~ forward!

As most of you will know, this weekend sees up supporting VegFest 2016 down in Brighton by having a catering pitch to provide a diverse range of foods, from wraps (including gluten free) with a number of delicious fillings to delicious raw treats and snacks (chocolate brownie, energy balls etc.).  So please don't forget to come by and visit us and grab a delicious bite to eat.

Although on holiday, I was able to follow a mostly healthy way of eating as well as being able to provide a lot of what Virtuoso Foods offers here in the UK over in the West Coast, to family and friends and new friends and contacts that were made there.  I was very fortunate to also be able to host to private catering events which were both surprisingly 'Raw & Gluten Free'.  RAW foods seems to be a very popular way to eat West Coast (LA/Laguna Beach) as it is not only light, yet filling and tasty and when done right, looks so good.  So that was a success and pleasure.

Coming back to the UK I am still in 'jet-lag' mode however that hasn't stopped me in preparing good for to eat at home and keep me fuelled in the right way.

This was my delicious lunch prepared earlier, after a morning of shopping, doctors etc.


Avocado & Rice Salad with Tofu



A mix of vine tomatoes, avocado, brown rice, chick peas, spinach and tofu tossed in a delicious balsamic and sesame seed dressing.  Very tasty.

I had a very early morning appointment at the Multi-Skeletal Clinic to see what can be done with issues in the back.  Basically it was concluded that the pain I have been suffering with is due to joint issues and not the actual discs.  The options moving forward are to have physiotherapy to work on muscles and joints as well as acupuncture to help relieve the pain and then consider having steroid injections to see if this will also help relieve the pain and inflammation in the muscles, joints and nerves.  As I have had steroid injections before, I will put this on hold as a last resort as the injection going into the body in itself is agony!


The other therapy I had the pleasure to experience whilst in the States was called, 'The Bowen' Technique.  The Bowen Technique is a remedial, hands-on therapy that is applied using very gentle pressure. The practitioner uses thumbs and fingers on precise points of the body to perform Bowen's unique sets of rolling-type moves which stimulate the muscles and soft tissue of the body.





I had 3 sessions of this in the US and to me, it truly did work wonders to the point that the initial pain I experienced in the right hand side lower back/hip area, which when the pain struck, really did disable me and restrict my movement/sitting, seemed to go away.  Although I feel a niggling pain in the same area, I don't have the sharp pain shooting up my spine and attacking my nerve system which is an excellent result in itself.


With this result, I investigated how I can continue this therapy back in the UK and found a practitioner in The Bowen Technique not far from me here in Bedford and have booked my first appointment with her on Wednesday so am really looking forward to this.  I will keep you updated on this progress and of course I will await my appointment with the physiotherapist to see how that too can assist in recovery.


Now that I am back, I need to pick up my 'movement' activities, in terms of walking more and perhaps starting to swim.  After lunch, I walked along the Embankment for 35 minutes as the sun cam out.  Beautiful.

Picture is from the Embankment River in Bedford, sun shining, river looking beautiful.




Well friends, I will leave you with todays thought and until soon x



Thought for Today

If the plan doesn’t work, change the plan, not the goal.



No comments:

Post a Comment