Thursday 10 November 2016

Thursday 10th November 2016 - BOWEN Therapy

Although it has been a few days since my last Blog update, it seems like it's been a long time.  Since I last wrote we have had the US Presidential Elections, which seems to have taken over everything, from TV, to discussions, to involvement and now that it is over, whatever your views were/are about who will be president, it sure is good to get back to 'normal'.

With this in mind, our kitchens have been really focused on creating some delicious raw balls/bites due to high demand.  At the beginning of October my personal goal was to focus on promoting these raw treats to businesses with a view of the owners taking pride in offering a delicious alternative and healthy treat to both employees and clients.  It has been an honour to work with 2 mid size companies who have taken on these raw treats with open arms and as a result, these treats have been enjoyed by all who have had the opportunity to taste them resulting in some additional orders.  So a big thank you to Raj and his partners in Leicester for taking our 'balls' on and for promoting them with such passion.


  


Needless to say, after preparing for this order, me and my little elves deserved a day of yesterday.  I made some delicious food and a heavenly Raw Key Lime 'cheese'cake, which I will share the recipe with you a little later on in this blog.  I also treated myself (my back, next and arms) to Bowen Therapy to help restore my muscles and nerves back to pain free movement.

If you haven't heard of Bowen Therapy and suffer with any kind of muscular/sciatic type pains, then I highly recommend this form of treatment.  Anyone who knows me knows the long standing battle I have suffered with lower back pain and more recently with a painful ankle/heel pain and after years of standing whilst I had Cafe Virtuoso, the impact was immense in so much that I couldn't move with flexibility easily or stand for longer than 5 minutes.  I swear by Bowen Therapy in so much that I can now move around easily and can stand longer than 5 minutes and with this therapy and walking regularly, I am in a much better place physically than I have been in the last year, over the last 4 or so months.

The primary benefit of Bowen Therapy is relief from muscular-skeletal conditions but also for other ailments including:

  • reduction or relief from pain, including sciatica.
  • reduced stress.
  • enhanced mobility.
  • increased energy.
  • enhanced immune system.
  • improved circulation.
  • lymphatic drainage.
  • carpal tunnel syndrome.


I also suffer with occasional migraines and this therapy has addressed this area in so much as reducing the regularity of experiencing migraines and when I feel the onset of pressure or aches, knowing how I can deal with them through the Bowen technique.

If anyone is interested in this type of therapy, I can highly recommend my therapist who is Bedford (UK) based so please get in touch for more information on this.

Moving onto to food related items, as the cold weather is setting in, the foods I'll be eating more of during this month of November are the following:

-  Avocado:  being a vegetarian, avocado is a great source of protein and healthy fat and combined with the right ingredients, can fuel your body.  Avocado has high levels of potassium (more than bananas) and is a great source of fibre.  I enjoy this wonderful fruit (yes avocado is technically a fruit not a vegetable) in energising smoothies in the morning, I love them in my sushi rolls and enjoy them on Sourdough toast mixed with lemon juice, salt, black pepper and dried chilli flakes which is oh so warming.



-  Dates:  as you can imagine, making lots of raw energy balls and bites, this little fruit is heavily used in my kitchen.  Dates are a good source of various vitamins and minerals and a wonderful source of energy, natural sugar and fibre.



-  Mushrooms:  I love mushrooms, in all its different varieties and flavours.  My most favourite is Shiitake mushrooms.  I use this type in particular as a meat substitute as it has similar textures, great powerful flavour and is versatile.  They are high in B vitamins and serve as a good source of vitamin D.  They support cardiovascular health and has some evidence in improving energy levels and reducing inflammation as well as supporting the immune system.  I enjoy these little beauties at least 2-3 times a week and my favourite dishes are: 1)  Miso and Mushroom Soup 2) Coconut cream of Mushroom soup 3)  Mushroom Risotto

  



-  Turmeric:  I absolutely LOVE this root vegetable - not because of the flavour but purely because of its benefits and properties.  I indulge in this vegetable in capsule format daily to help my body reduce inflammation (physically, muscular and headache/migraines) as well as so many other benefits.  It helps aid digestion, is great for the skin and is full of natural nutrients.  I add the root into my fresh juices, grate it into soups, stews and curries and enjoy them sometimes with almond milk, cinnamon and coconut sugar for a warming nighttime drink.

So going back to sharing a delicious recipe with you, here it my recipe for Raw Key Lime 'Cheese'Cake

Raw Key Lime 'Cheese'Cake, GF & Vegan


For the crust
2 cups walnuts
1 cup chopped dates
Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
Process the crust ingredients in a blender with an ‘s blade’ until the mixture comes together.  Then empty into a 9″ cake pan (removable bottom is best type to use) and press down until the crust is firmly in place.
Filling
2 cups unsalted cashews (soaked overnight or for at least 2 hours minimum)
1 large avocado
1/2 cup of raw coconut oil (melted)
1/4 cup agave syrup/maple syrup
4 soft limes (grate the zest of 2 of the limes and juice all 4)
Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend until all the ingredients have broken down, combined and is of a smooth and creamy texture.  This may take about 10-15 minutes so be patient.
TIP:
1)  Do not add any water even if you feel the mixture is a little thick.  This is fine.
2)  Blend the cashews first into a powder and then commence with blending all the other ingredients – (you don’t have to do this however it gives you a head start to the blending process).
3)  You can add more or less lime juice, depending on how tangy you like your pie!  I love tangy, so I personally add juice from 6 limes and it is ‘wow’!
Once all the ingredients are blended well into a creamy texture, empty into the cake pan, smooth over with a knife or back of a spoon, sprinkle on the lime zest and put in the freezer for a couple of hours.
When you want to serve the pie, take out of the freezer and thaw for about 45 minutes (when you are entertaining at home, when your guests arrive, take the pie out of the freezer & thaw.  Once thawed, slice and put onto plates and you can put back into the fridge until you are ready to serve).
The pie will keep in the fridge for 2 days and in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.  This recipe will also work well as 8 mini pies using a muffin tin.
To enhance your dessert, you can serve with some coconut cream.
Topping
1 can of coconut milk
zest from 1 lime and juice from 1/2 of the lime.
Open the can of coconut cream and gently remove the cream from the surface into a bowl.
Add the zest and juice from the lime and gently mix.
With a teaspoon, make little quenelles of the cream and put on top of your pie before serving.  Truly scrumptious!
With the rest of the coconut milk, you can use this in soups for a delicious flavour (see above for some of our soup recipes which uses coconut milk).
I hope you have enjoyed todays blog.  If you have any comments or suggestions, tips, recipes you have tried and tested and would like to share, please let me know and share with me.

Until soon, I leave you with my thought for today.







**PLEASE NOTE:  all input and updates shared with you in my blog are my findings, ideas and suggestions and recommendations are based on personal opinion.  I am not medically qualified or trained however have worked with food and nutrition for many years and recommend based on my own findings.  Before following any specific diet or trying new foods and ingredients, please check with your health practitioner/doctor especially if you have any diagnosed illness/ailments**

www.virtuosofoods.co.uk



No comments:

Post a Comment